Sweet Potato, Kale, and Rum Pie
Want something truly creative? Here's a pie that's a rich, multi-flavored blend of delicate Tuscan kale, sweet potatoes, acorn squash, rum, and raisins.
Yield: 12 people
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 acorn squash
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1/2 cup egg beaters
- 1/4 cup Splenda
- 1 cup Tuscan kale rough chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup corn flakes (no sugar, no salt added) ground (good brand choices are Grainfield's or Erewhon)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes and squash, and pierce several times with a fork. In a foil-lined roasting pan, roast potatoes and squash until tender, about 45 minutes. Cool and remove skins.
- In a food processor, blend rum, Egg Beaters, Splenda, kale, squash, and potatoes until very smooth.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl and stir in raisins.
- In an aluminum pie pan, coat bottom with corn flakes and bake for 3 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Add sweet potato mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Let cool, cut, and serve.
Gracing the top of this pie is a tangy raspberry sauce. To make, simply puree 12 ounces of frozen, unsweetened raspberries (thawed), 1/4 cup of Splenda (or to taste) and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in a blender. Pass puree through a fine sieve set over a bowl. Also on top is a Creamy Vanilla Sauce with a touch of amaretto added.