America’s child obesity epidemic has been described by U.S. Surgeon General Richard Carmona as "the terror within." Researchers nationwide predict that today’s kids may be the first generation in America in which parents outlive their children.
Without effective intervention, the future costs of childhood obesity "would be incalculable," wrote leading child obesity researcher Dr. David Ludwig of Children’s Hospital in Boston in the New England Journal of Medicine (2007; 357: 2325).
Though the federal government currently lacks a comprehensive strategy for encouraging children to eat a healthful diet and engage in physical activity, action in the private sector is promising. Intensive heart-healthy, lifestyle-change programs, like the Pritikin Family Program held summers at the Pritikin Longevity Center, have documented superb results.
Since its inception in 2002, the Pritikin Family Program has empowered children worldwide with the skills they need to grow into lean, healthy adults. And they and their parents have learned, much to their delight, how fun and doable healthy living can be.
- Guide to Healthy Running for Kids
- Do you have an overweight child?
- A Parent’s Guide to Food Allergies
- A Kids’ Guide To MyPlate
- Healthy Habits for Families
- 10 Surprising Reasons to Send Your Kid to a Health Camp
- Life-Changing Family Vacations
- Embracing a Healthier Lifestyle At Age 20 Can Mean Major Benefits For the Heart At Age 40
- Healthy Bites for Finicky Kids
- Nutrition & Health Resources for Kids
- Health and Nutrition Awareness for Kids
- Prediabetes In Children. What To Do?
- Healthy School Lunch Ideas For Kids
- High Cholesterol In Children
- “What can I do about my teenagers? They’re gaining a little too much weight.”
- Weight Loss, Family Style
- Healthy Habits, Smarter Kids?
- Getting Your Kids To Eat More Vegetables
- Obesity In Childhood Leads To Heart Attacks In Adults
- Overweight Kids Need Family-Based Programs
- Heart Health: A Parents Guide
- New Food Guidelines for Schools Leading the Way To…Breakfast Candy?
- 5 Tips For Teaching Kids About Making Healthy New Year’s Resolutions
- Avoid Summer Weight Gain