Ideas for Simple, Healthy Sandwiches
Everybody loves sandwiches, but a greasy burger or processed meat sub won't do much for our health.
Does “quick and easy” have to be full of sodium, sugar, and artery-busting saturated fat? Not on your life! Here are some ideas for delicious, healthy sandwiches you can whip up before you can spell B-O-L-O-G-N-A.
Basic Suggestions For Healthy Sandwiches:
- Use whole grain bread, bagels, pita or wrap (made from 100% whole wheat flour and low-sodium).
- Warm bread in a toaster or oven to enhance the flavor of the sandwich.
- To flavor bread, use low-sodium mustard, non-fat mayonnaise, non-fat salad dressing, non-fat cream cheese or yogurt cheese (made from non-fat yogurt).
- Include lots of vegetables such as lettuce, tomato, onions, cucumber and sprouts.
- For a gourmet touch, include a layer of fresh basil, rosemary or other herb to your sandwich.
- Serve healthy sandwiches with a bowl of hearty vegetable soup and/or salad. Include fresh fruit and your meal is complete.
Filling Suggestions For Healthy Sandwiches:
- Tuna fish, packed in water, low-sodium. Drain and add 1 or 2 tablespoons of non-fat mayonnaise, onions and celery.
- Grilled or broiled fish
- Grilled or broiled chicken breast
- Turkey breast, fresh or oven-roasted
- Salmon, canned in water, low-sodium. Add fresh dill, cucumber and onion.
- Egg whites or Egg Beaters
- Roasted Bison
- Pritikin Hummus
- Mashed beans or a salt-free mashed bean spread (i.e. Eden Foods)
- Grilled portabella mushroom
- Grilled vegetables
- Fresh vegetables (from a salad bar) stuffed into a 100% sodium-free pita bread or wrap.
- Veggie burger (A good lower-sodium choice is Garden Vegan by Gardenburger)
- Grilled Tofu
- Grilled Tempeh
Take life to the next level, and be all that you can be. That’s what a vacation at Pritikin is all about. Live better. Look better. Best of all, feel better.
Since 1975, 100,000+ people have come to Pritikin. We are the longest-running, most scientifically documented health resort in America.
Rooms and Suites
Our newly renovated guest rooms at the health resort are spacious, serene, and amenity-rich. Each has a gorgeous garden view.