What Is Healthy Weight Loss?
When asked the above question, many of us tend to go negative. We’re thinking, “I want to lose weight, but I don’t want to damage myself in the process.” Healthy weight loss means…
- No negative side effects
- No pills
- No surgeries
- No gimmicks
- “I’m not starving myself”
- “I’m not going up and down with my weight”
But healthy weight loss can also mean the exact opposite. It can be positive, transforming. It’s about losing weight and getting multiple, life-saving benefits along with it, like lower cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, and lower blood sugar.
With this kind of healthy weight loss, we also get more than a “here today, gone tomorrow” diet. We get a new way of life. A life that we love. This is healthy weight loss at its very best, and it’s been happening at the Pritikin Longevity Center in Miami since 1975.
What Is a Healthy Weight-Loss Rate?
“For many people, slower weight loss is healthier. But it’s important to understand that everyone’s journey is individual,” stresses Kimberly Gomer, MS, RD, LDN, Director of Nutrition at the Pritikin Longevity Center in Miami.
Lose 11 Pounds In 3 Weeks PLUS:
Several studies have found that men and women lose on average 11 pounds within 3 weeks of starting the Pritikin Program, but much more happens. During those 3 weeks, other profound changes take place:
American Journal of Physiology: Endocrinology & Metabolism, 2012; 303: E542.
Journal of Applied Physiology, 2005; 98: 3.
Metabolism, 2004; 53: 377.
Journal of Cardiorespiratory Rehabilitation, 1992; 12: 194.
Archives of Internal Medicine, 1991; 151: 1389.
Diabetes Care, 1983; 6: 268.
Weight Loss Resort & Spa
A stay at Pritikin will change your life. Lose weight, get fit and return home with the tools needed to live a healthier life. All-Inclusive Weight Loss Resort
Ultimate Guide For Healthy Weight Loss
In this Ultimate Guide For Healthy Weight Loss, get it all… Lose excess weight. Clean up your blood values. Watch your blood pressure fall. And energy levels soar. It’s all possible with the Pritikin Program.
Get started today. Keep reading. Learn about the best foods for weight loss, how to burn more fat, mindfulness and weight loss, and more. Make this the year that changes everything, the year that gives you new life.
Ultimate Guide for Healthy Weight Loss: Additional Resources
For 40 years, the physicians, registered dietitians, psychologists, and exercise experts at the Pritikin Longevity Center have been helping people worldwide turn their convictions to lose weight and live healthier into action. Knowing how to live well is one thing. Doing it is what the Pritikin Center is all about. Here are additional resources from the world-renowned team at Pritikin on losing weight and living well.
- The Best Exercises for Weight Loss & Your Health
- It Takes a Village to Lose Weight
- 8 Ways to Break Free from Emotional Eating Triggers
- Avoid Thanksgiving Weight Gain
- 6 New Ways to Eat More Vegetables…and Lose More Weight
- Truth about Diets
- Best Healthy Weight Loss Office Snacks
- 100 Pounds Down!
Before & After Photos
- How to Stop Snacking After Dinner
- Is the Pritikin Program Sustainable?
- Back to Basics
Your January Weight Loss Guide
- Why You Crave Unhealthy Food
- Can Losing Weight Help Arthritic Knees?
- Can You Be Fat But Fit?
- Fruits and Veggies For Weight Loss
- The Media Influence on Teen Diets
- Do PFAS cause weight gain?
- Does Intermittent Fasting Work?
- Can losing weight get rid of diabetes?
- Are You Overfat?
- Shopping List For Weight Loss
- Diets That Work + Coconut Oil, Gluten-Free Foods, and Other Trends
- Is Coconut Oil Fattening?
- Can a Health Retreat Help Relieve Arthritis Pain?
- What to Do With Conflicting Weight-Loss Tips
- Don’t Stop Now! Tips for Getting Over Your Weight-Loss Plateau
- Are Fat Cells Forever?
- Prevent Saggy Skin During Weight Loss
- The Story of a Couple Adopting a Healthy Pritikin Lifestyle Together
- Weight Loss and Metabolic Damage?
- Beans Vs Meat | Calories, Protein, Fiber, and Weight Loss
- The Turning Point on One Man’s Journey Toward Weight Loss
- Eating Potatoes and Losing 100 Pounds
- The Best Meals for Weight Loss
- The Risks of Crash Dieting
- The Best Workout For Burning Fat:
- Metabolic Damage
The Truth About Yo-Yo Dieting
- What is Resting Metabolic Rate?
- Can you be both overweight and healthy?
- The Spiritual and Emotional Side of Weight Loss
- Tips for Motivating Your Partner to Lose Weight and Get Healthy
- The All-Inclusive Weight Loss Resort
- Healthy Travel Tips for Summer
- What Is Body Composition?
- Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR)
& Healthy Weight Loss
- Do You Want to Lose Weight Fast?
- The insider’s guide to warming up effectively
- Are Smoothies Healthy? Are They Good For Weight Loss?
- Do Artificial Sweeteners Cause Weight Gain?
- The truth about nutritional fads and diets
- The Pritikin Journey as Both a Mentor and Mentee
- The Healthiest Bottled Salad Dressings
- I Lost 100 Pounds and Changed My Life
- Getting Healthy Again, Quickly
- How Long Does It Take To Lose Weight?
- 3 reasons your next getaway should be a health retreat
- The benefits of a good night’s sleep during your weight loss vacation
- Healthy & Tasty Alternatives
to your Favorite Snacks
- The Science of Taste
- Healthy comfort food recipes to get you through the winter
- Best Foods For Weight Loss | Snacks
- Best Foods For Weight Loss | Dinner
- Best Foods For Weight Loss | Lunch
- Best Foods For Weight Loss | Breakfast
- Is fruit good for weight loss?
- I don’t need to lose weight, so is olive oil okay?
- How can I lose belly fat?
- Healthiest Foods For Weight Loss
- Aqua Fitness and Weight Loss
- Feeling “Fat and Gross”…But No More
- Sleep Disorders and Weight Gain | What To Do
- “The pounds are creeping back” | Tips For Maintaining Weight Loss
- An Epic Journey Of Losing 100 Pounds In As Many Days
- Will Obesity Kill You?
- The Truth About Counting Calories
- Pritikin faculty refutes Wall Street Journal low-fat diet article
- The Hunger Scale: Mindful Eating for Weight Loss
- Medical Weight Loss – What It Is and Isn’t
- Best Ice Creams For Weight Loss
- Mindfulness and Weight Loss
- Healthy Meal Plan For Weight Loss
- Super-Simple Meal Plan For Blood Pressure and Weight Loss
- Are You Making These 5 Weight-Loss Mistakes?
- Mindfulness and Weight Gain
- Nutrition Tips for Healthy Weight
- Weight Loss Disorders Anorexia Nervosa & Bulimia
- Lower Stress Equals Lower Weight
- Beating Weight-Loss Plateaus
- Weight Loss for the Workaholic
- The Science of Weight Loss – Infographic
- Should I eat breakfast if I’m not hungry?
- Are You Losing the Diet Game? – Infographic
- How do I stop binge eating at night?
- The 7 Best Strategies for Weight Loss and Health
- Avoiding the Freshman 15
- 30 Years of Weight-Loss Success
- “I lost 113 pounds. Thank you, Pritikin, for showing me the way!”
- The Best Whole Grains For Weight Loss
- Strength Training Prevents “Muffin Top” in Women
- 9 Tips For Controlling Holiday Binge Eating
- Quit Smoking Without Gaining Weight
- The Best Foods For Weight Loss (and the Worst)
- The Apple Cider Vinegar Diet?
- #1 Tip For a Better Body and Healthy Lifestyle
- Obesity In America
- Getting Past a Weight-Loss Plateau
- Do overweight people live longer? | Answers from the Pritikin Center
- How To Stop Binge Eating
- Fat, Inflammatory Cytokines and Cardiovascular Disease
- Belviq Side Effects
- Diets That Work: New Science
- Obesity In America: Solutions From the Institute of Medicine
- More Whole Grains, Less Belly Fat
- Top Two Tips For Permanent Weight Loss
- How To Lose Weight Without Counting Calories
- Calorie Density: Throw Your Calorie Counter Away
- Hormones and Weight Loss
- Healthy Breakfast Foods – 6 Tips
- “I’ve hit a weight-loss plateau!” 5 Tips For Breaking Through
- Diets Don’t Work – 4 Tips For Real Success
- DASH Diet + Exercise + Weight-Loss Counseling
- The Belly Fat Cure
- Low Fat Vs Low Carb Diets: Which Is Better?
- TV and Weight Gain: What To Do
- Yo-Yo Dieting: Is It a Problem?
- Diet Vs Exercise: Which Matters More?
- Calorie Density – Key to Losing Weight
- High-Calorie Drinks and What They Do To Our Derrières
- Losing 100 Pounds
- Is Diet Soda Bad For You?
- Dairy Foods and Weight Loss? Don’t Believe the Hype
- Confessions of a Cookie Monster
- Good Carbs vs Bad Carbs: New Science
- Fruit For Weight Loss, Says Science
- How To Lose Body Fat: What Research Says
- Glycemic Index: New Study Finds Popular Weight Loss Tool Worthless
- Fidgeting and Weight Loss
- 7 Exercise Myths That Can Derail Your Weight-Loss Goals
- Good Salads For Losing Weight
- Soft Drinks and Obesity: Scientists Study the Link
- The Secret To Losing Weight
- Low Carb vs Low Fat? It’s Better To Focus On FOOD
- More Food Fewer Calories: “What a Concept”
- Glycemic Load: No Help in Losing Weight
- Don’t Drink Your Calories
- 4-Steps for Resisting Holiday Temptation
- 10 Tips to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain
- The Best Way To Lose Weight
- Fiber For Weight Loss – Especially Fruit
- It’s Not Okay To Be Fit and Fat
- Alzheimer’s and Diet: Reduce Midlife Obesity
- 10 Tips For Breaking Through a Weight-Loss Plateau
- Unhealthy Weight Loss or Gain from Eating Disorders
- Complete Exercise Plan For Beginners
- The Pros and Cons of Medical Weight Loss Procedures