83% Discontinued High Blood Pressure Medication
Among 216 adults who entered the Pritikin Center taking pills for hypertension, 83% left Pritikin free of these pills, and with significant reductions in blood pressure. Most of the remaining 17% had their pill dosages reduced. Journal of Cardiac Rehabilitation, 3: 839, 1983. See also Circulation, 106: 2530, 2002.
Blood Pressure Lowered To Normal Or Near-Normal Levels
In a meta-analysis of 1,117 people with hypertension who attended the Pritikin Center for three weeks, systolic blood pressure fell on average 9%. Diastolic blood pressure fell 9%. Of those taking pills for hypertension, 55% left Pritikin pill-free, and the majority of the others had their dosages reduced. Journal of Applied Physiology, 98: 3, 2005.
Lower Your Blood Pressure While On Vacation
A stay at Pritikin will change your life. Lower high blood pressure, lose weight, and return home with the tools needed to live a healthier life. All-Inclusive Health Resort
Ultimate Guide for Lowering Blood Pressure Naturally
Hypertension, or high blood pressure, is by far the most common form of cardiovascular disease in the U.S. More than 90% of Americans can expect to develop it in their lifetime.
While most Americans with hypertension are treated primarily with drugs, “these drugs do not come close to eliminating all the cardiovascular ills associated with the typical American diet and sedentary lifestyle,” observes Danine Fruge, MD, Associate Medical Director at the Pritikin Longevity Center in Miami. Over the last four decades, the Center has helped thousands worldwide lower blood pressure naturally and significantly reduce many cardiovascular risks.
Side effects of medications
There are more worrisome facts about medications, notes Dr. Fruge. Drug treatment frequently has annoying and sometimes dangerous side effects, and never cures the disease. All too often, blood pressure problems grow progressively worse despite the use of medications. That’s deeply troubling because hypertension is a major risk factor for heart attacks, strokes, heart failure, cardiac arrhythmia, and premature death.
Lifestyle-focused guide for lowering blood pressure
The heartening news is that most people can effectively control their blood pressure without the need for medications by following a healthy lifestyle like the Pritikin Program. “Those who still need medications usually require a lower dose and/or fewer drugs, thereby reducing their risk of suffering adverse side effects from the medications,” states Dr. Jay Kenney, Nutrition Research Specialist at Pritikin.
“For many years, the Pritikin Program has offered a safer and more effective alternative to pharmacological therapy because the program eliminates the dietary insults and other lifestyle-related factors that caused hypertension to develop in the first place.”
Ultimate Guide for Lowering Blood Pressure Naturally: Additional Resources
Click through the articles below to learn more about blood pressure control and healthy living, and to start developing your own personal guide to lowering blood pressure. Even better, book a health vacation at Pritikin, recently described by The New York Times as the “granddaddy of health-based wellness spas.” Make a personal investment in what matters most – a longer life, a better life.
- How an extended Pritikin stay helped one man feel like a teenager again
- Foods That Promote Kidney Health
- Getting Healthy Again, Quickly
- 6 Low-Sodium Soup Recipes
- Prevention 101: Your commitment to a healthy lifestyle and why it matters
- Lowering Blood Pressure Naturally – 7 Tips
- The Dangers of Salt:
It’s More Than Just a Blood Pressure Problem
- Shopping List for Lowering Blood Pressure
- Are salt substitutes safe?
- Reduce Sodium Intake | Cut 1,000+ Mg From Your Daily Diet
- Are low-sodium diets unhealthy?
- “I had a stroke. Now what?” Learn How To Prevent the Next One
- How Long Does It Take To Lower Blood Pressure?
- Alternatives To High Blood Pressure Medication
- Super-Simple Meal Plan For Blood Pressure and Weight Loss
- Campbell’s Mmm mmm salt.
- New Blood Pressure Guidelines
- Do You Really Need To Reduce Salt Intake?
- How do I lower blood pressure naturally?
- Blood Pressure Drugs and Cancer Risk?
- Resistant Hypertension Treatment
- Music and Your Health – Lowering Blood Pressure
- What Is Hypertension? And Other Common Questions
- The Best Diet For High Blood Pressure
- High Blood Pressure Cures – Diet Is #1
- How Much Salt Per Day?
- Are low-sodium diets healthy?