The Pritikin Program of Diet and Exercise, which has been found to advance weight loss and prevent and control many chronic diseases, cautions consuming too much oil, salt and refined sugars and grains. It also advises avoiding processed and organ meats, foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol-rich foods. Although this may lead you to conclude that comfort foods are off the table completely, believe it or not, with a little tweaking you can still enjoy an entire menu of delicious, hearty meals.
Here are three healthy recipes for enjoying comfort food this winter:
- 1/2 pound turkey (extra lean) ground
- 1/3 cup onions minced
- 1/2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1/3 cup green bell peppers diced
- 1/3 cup red bell peppers diced
- 1/3 cup carrots diced
- 1/3 cup celery diced
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley chopped
- 3/4 cups oatmeal uncooked
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs (low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste no-salt-added
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard no-salt-added
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, low sodium
- 1/2 tablespoon thyme (fresh) leaves picked
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1.5 egg whites whipped
- 1 dash Tabasco to taste
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce no-salt-added
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Use a food processor to grind the turkey.
- Once it's ground, add it to a large mixing bowl.
- One by one, add each ingredient.
- Thoroughly combine all ingredients together.
- Lightly spray a non-stick meatloaf pan.
- Pour the entire turkey mixture into the pan and spread it evenly.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook for another 25 minutes.
- Remove meatloaf from the oven and allow pan to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Bonus chef tip: If desired, lightly saute 2 to 3 cups of your favorite mushrooms in light red wine for two minutes. Pour over meatloaf before serving and enjoy!
These healthy, savory, mouth-watering recipes from Pritikin’s top chefs are just the beginning. For more information and hands-on, close up cooking classes and demonstrations, book a stay at the Pritikin Longevity Center today!