- 1 cup of oatmeal cooked with nonfat milk or soymilk, topped with chopped pineapple and mango and 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts.
- 1 cup tea or coffee with 1 tablespoon nonfat milk or soymilk and 1 packet of sugar substitute
- 1 to 2 cups easy bean and veggie soup. Add leftover vegetables to a can of low-sodium vegetable juice like Knudsen’s Low Sodium, Very Veggie Juice, a can of no-salt-added red or black beans, and salt-free seasoning. Heat and serve.
- 2 cups mixed salad greens dressed with 1 to 2 tablespoons of nonfat plain yogurt blended with Dijon mustard to taste.
- 1 grilled veggie pizza. Six-inch round crust made with store-bought ready-to-roll-out whole-wheat pizza dough with low-sodium marinara sauce, ¼ cup nonfat ricotta cheese, and 1½ cups of freshly grilled veggies like green bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms.
Eat More Beans, Live Longer
Want to know how to live to 100? Eat plenty of beans, says plenty of research studies. How To Live To 100
- 1 cup celery sticks with ½ cup bean dip. Good choices for ready-made, low-sodium bean dip brands include Bearitos and Guiltless Gourmet.
- 1 to 2 cups fresh fruit
- Spicy cucumber salad. Mix 1 to 2 cups sliced cucumbers with fresh lemon juice, paprika, and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Easy Tangy Salmon. Sear, skin side up, two 4-ounce cuts of salmon in a hot nonstick skillet and cook until well browned on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn pieces and cook till slightly translucent in center, 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer salmon to serving dishes. To skillet add ¼ teaspoon orange peel, 3 ounces orange juice, and ½ cup white wine. Boil till reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves. Spoon sauce over salmon.
- Steamed asparagus and yellow squash
- 1 cup cooked whole-wheat cous cous seasoned with a little garlic, onion, and finely diced tomato
- ½ cup fat-free, sugar-free ice cream. Good brand choices are Breyers and Edy’s.
14-Day Meal Plan
Get all 14 days of this healthy meal plan. Get the Meal Plan
Want loads of delicious nutrition? Go for whole grains. Day Twelve Menu