Tasty, Healthy Burritos!
And watch out for those commercials. Fast food and pizza chains will be bombarding you. But we at Pritikin know you can rise above the influence!.
And try some of these good-tasting and good-for-you creations…
A bar full of delicious fixings for healthy burritos is a great way to please everyone. Sure, for your full-fat eaters, you can include condiments like ground beef and regular sour cream, but there are all sorts of tasty, much healthier choices you can also set out, like:
- Chicken breasts, ground, skinless
- Beans (no salt added) of your choice, such as pinto, black, and red beans
- Nonfat cheddar cheese, shredded (Try sharp cheddar because it has a stronger taste than mild cheddar, which means you can use less and still get a lot of flavor.)
- Fresh salsa (Read food labels to find lower-sodium options. A salsa with 40 mg of sodium per serving is often just as delicious as one that has 200-plus mg of sodium.)
- Fresh avocado, cubed – or guacamole (just a dollop because avocados are calorie dense)
- Sauteed green peppers and onions
- Fresh red bell pepper strips
- Nonfat sour cream
- Lettuce, shredded
- Brown rice, Spanish-style
- Corn and/or whole-wheat tortillas