Day Three | Healthy Sandwiches
Turn ho-hum sandwiches into hearty, healthy sandwiches. Learn how with the Pritikin Program’s 14-Day Meal Plan For Health and Weight Loss.
- 1 cup oatmeal cooked with water and topped with nonfat milk or soymilk, ½ cup of strawberries (fresh or frozen), ½ cup of blueberries (fresh or frozen) and 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 cup tea or coffee with 1 tablespoon nonfat milk or soymilk and 1 packet of sugar substitute, such as Splenda.
- 1 cup diced watermelon
- 1 bag baby carrots
Lunch – Healthy Sandwiches – Lose the white flour!
- 1 to 2 cups canned vegetable and bean soup (good choices include low-sodium, fat-free varieties like Pritikin or Health Valley or frozen variety like Tabatchnick)
- 2 to 3 cups of mixed baby salad greens with Papaya Salsa
- Sandwich of fresh roasted turkey breast (3 ounces) with 2 slices of low-sodium, whole-grain bread with assorted veggies, like baby greens and sliced tomatoes. Smear the bread with 1 tablespoon of stone-ground mustard and 1 teaspoon nonfat mayonnaise.
- 1 cup fresh fruit
- 2 cups air-popped popcorn. A good ready-made brand is Bearito’s no-salt, no-oil variety. It takes 2 quarts of air-popped popcorn to equal the calories in just 20 potato chips.
- Big salad of romaine lettuce mixed with your own homemade salad dressing using fat-free sour cream or nonfat plain yogurt sassed up with a little mustard, vinegar, low-sodium ketchup, and/or hot sauce.
- Chicken Veggie Burger stuffed into whole-wheat pita bread with, if you desire, big slices of roasted red bell pepper.
- 1 cup of roasted baby red potatoes. Preheat oven to 400° F. Cut potatoes into bite-size pieces and toss with a teaspoon of canola oil, freshly ground black pepper, and thyme (fresh or dried). Put in Pyrex dish lightly misted with cooking spray. Bake until tender (about 40 minutes), tossing occasionally.
- Smoothie made in blender with 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt, ¾ cup crushed ice, ½ banana, and fresh or frozen berries.