In a groundbreaking decision, Medicare will reimburse for Pritikin’s nutrition-and-exercise programs for qualifying individuals with a history or risk of cardiovascular events.
Like traditional cardiac rehabilitation (CR) programs, Pritikin ICR focuses on exercise. But it also provides comprehensive education in the skills that foster a healthy lifestyle. You will learn how to eat well, exercise, feel better, and live better.
You can take advantage of Pritikin ICR in a residential setting at the Pritikin Longevity Center or in outpatient programs that are currently being set up nationwide in hospitals and other health care facilities.
Participants in Pritikin ICR will learn how to:
- Cook heart-healthy meals that are delicious
- Become smart grocery shoppers
- Order intelligently in restaurants
- Lose weight utilizing science-based skills
- Quit smoking
- Manage stress
- Improve personal and professional relationships
- Transform negative attitudes into positive ones
In the end, you will have gained an in-depth education about the relationship between lifestyle and cardiovascular health. And you'll be better motivated to live well.
Which participants qualify for Medicare reimbursement of ICR?
The medical conditions that qualify for Medicare reimbursement of ICR are the same as CR. If you have experienced one or more of the following events, and if you have not received Medicare-reimbursed cardiac rehab after your most recent event, you qualify.
- Acute myocardial infarction (within the preceding 12 months only)
- Coronary artery bypass surgery (no time limit)
- Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty or stenting procedure (no time limit)
- Current stable angina pectoris (no time limit)
- Heart or heart-lung transplant (no time limit)
- Heart valve repair or replacement (no time limit)
How do participants enroll in Pritikin ICR?
Please call 1-800.327.4914 or 305.935.7131 if you are interested in enrolling in Pritikin ICR at the Pritikin Longevity Center.
If you wish to learn more about the upcoming outpatient ICR Programs, please call 1-800-677-0257.